One of the two main components of SEO is on-site optimization. This involves optimizing your site by using keyword phrases both in the source code and the content of your website. It is crucial to have unique, keyword-rich, relevant content on your homepage. Google puts heavy emphasis on website content and this is one of the easier requirements to meet.
- Choosing a main keyword phrase (kp) and sticking to it. This phrase must have a geo-target and a line of business associated with it, e.g. Dallas car insurance, cheap Dallas home insurance, Dallas TX business insurance.
- Optimize SEO settings on your website. Your page title, page description and the first phrase in the page keywords section in the Admin Console should all contain your main kp.
- Embolden important keywords. This will alert the visitor and Google what is most important on your page.
- Make sure all words in your meta keywords appear somewhere in the homepage. Navigation links and footers can include the phrases.
- The kp must appear in at least 3 places. Your main kp must appear on your homepage 3-5 times. This can be as a heading, in the footer and the body of the content.
- Add an H1 heading tag containing your main kp. In the Admin Console, under Site Content Editor, select Home Page from the drop down menu. In the HTML side type your heading like this: <h1> Dallas Auto Insurance </h1>
- The main kp is closer to the top of the page and Google will read that first. Google reads text from top to bottom, so it is crucial to have your most important information close to the top of the page. Alt tags for images are also very important (contact your webmaster or Insurance Website Builder Support for help on this).
- Add your main kp in the footer. For the footer go to www.reliableins.net to see an example. In the Admin Console, under Site Content Editor select Site Footer. Type in your main kp, Dallas Auto Insurance. To make it a link do the following:
- Click the chain link icon on the toolbar within the content editor to open the Hyperlink Manager.
- In the URL textbox, type in the URL.
- In the Link Text textbox, type in the link's description.
- Select New Window in the Target drop down box.
- Once completed, click the Ok button.
The other main component is off-site optimization. This involves creating inbound links to your website.
About the Author
Darmini Kara performs search engine optimization (SEO) tasks for ITC’s customers, including blogging, keyword research, backlink building, social media management, onsite optimization and some online marketing. She has a bachelor’s of arts in arts and technology from the University of Texas at Dallas. Darmini’s specialties include organic and local SEO, Google Analytics and Search Console, website design, and social media.More Content by Darmini Kara