I hear it daily, 'Email marketing is dead and useless. Why aren't we doing everything via text messaging or social media?' Well, I have my views on text messaging, but I can promise you email marketing isn't dead. Here are 15 facts about email marketing from 2014 that will help prove why.
- The average email user gets 416 marketing emails a month. With the option to unsubscribe, this shows we're still interested in receiving emails.
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, an average of $44.25 is returned in conversions and transactional events. That makes the average return on investment for email marketing nearly 4300%. That's not a typo.
- 33% of email recipients open an email based on the subject line alone, so remember to make sure your subject line grabs your reader's attention. Currently there are 2.42 billion email users in the world and that will jump to 2.76 billion by 2017.
- 61% of business-to-business (B2B) marketers said the click-through rate (CTR) was the most useful metric for analyzing email campaign performance. 48% of business-to-consumer (B2C) marketers agreed.
- Bold imagery and stand-out graphics are taking over our inboxes. This comes from the influence of social media on how companies present their brands. Images help tell your brand's story, so consider taking the time to choose artful shots that complement your message.
- 7 in 10 people say they make use of a coupon or discount from a marketing email every week.
- 247 billion emails are sent every day. This equates to one email every 0.00000035 seconds.
- 48% of emails are opened on a mobile device. How do your emails look on a mobile device?
- 91% of consumers use email at least once every day.
- Every day consumers interact with about 11 brands through email. This is compared to 9 brands via Facebook and 8 brands via Twitter.
- A recent study found that email is close to 40 times better at gaining new customers than social media.
- When asked how consumers would like to receive updates from a business, 90% preferred an email and only 10% chose social media.
- 72% of consumers sign up for an email list to get discounts. 8.2% sign up because they love the brand.
- Email conversion rates are three times higher than social media. This study also noted that this includes a 17% higher value in the conversion.
- More people prefer (and do) to deal with their finances (including insurance) through email over any other category.
Still think email marketing is dead? Let me know why in the comments below.