Choosing a domain name is an important part of Search Engine Optimization. Not as important as having an optimized title, description and homepage content, but important nonetheless. An optimized domain name will help the search engines to find your website easier and therefore rank it higher. Here are some things to consider when choosing a domain name:
- The domain must include at least one keyword, e.g. insurance, coverage, quote, geo-target.
- It should not be too long or hard to spell.
- It must be brand-worthy. Does it roll off the tongue, is it easy to remember, can you tell your friends about it without having to repeat yourself or spell it out for them?
- Don't forget that using an older domain is more advantageous than buying a keyword-optimized new domain. Search engines like older domains.
- If you decide to go with your agency name as a domain, then you can still use keywords by customizing the web address.
- How To Choose Domain Names For SEO
- 12 Rules for Choosing the Right Domain Name
- Choose the Right Domain Name
- AboutUsBotGoneBad - See what happens when Bots seemingly have a twisted sense of humor.
About the Author
Darmini Kara performs search engine optimization (SEO) tasks for ITC’s customers, including blogging, keyword research, backlink building, social media management, onsite optimization and some online marketing. She has a bachelor’s of arts in arts and technology from the University of Texas at Dallas. Darmini’s specialties include organic and local SEO, Google Analytics and Search Console, website design, and social media.More Content by Darmini Kara