Whether your agency is just starting out or is well established, you will face competition. No matter how pretty your insurance agency website is, you will face competition. Especially in the search engine results.
Consumers are starting their shopping online. Many may still prefer to contact you directly to buy a policy, but you still should consider every person who lands on your website a potential client. The entrepreneur in you should focus on funneling these prospects towards a sale or leaving them with a sense of security about your services. With this goal in mind, you should understand the importance of search engine optimization (SEO).
Your insurance website should inform your visitors of the lines of business and great service you offer. To do so, you need some form of marketing and SEO to help improve the reputation of your website and its visibility in the search engines. We have written many blog posts on the factors that contribute to your SEO. You can catch up below.
- On-site optimization
- Off-site optimization
- Keyword research
- Google's tools
- Content, content, and more content
For those just embarking on the SEO journey, it can get long and complicated. But don't get intimidated. I've condensed the basics down to five main points. Think of it as a roadmap with a few golden rules to get you started.
- Keep your strategy simple, and use free tools like Google Analytics... Especially when starting out.
- Use Google's Keyword Planner tool to build off of your own ideas for keywords.
- Complete your title tag and meta description. Also, get an understanding on how these elements help optimize your website in the search results.
- Make sure your business listings are accurate. Conflicting information can make a consumer lose confidence in you.
- Commit to creating and updating the content on your insurance agency website. Consider fresh content an investment in your marketing and optimization efforts.
With these tips and a little patience, your website may begin to show up in search results with a proper appearance much like this:
Keep in mind, this list is just a starting point. There are many more layers to peel back with SEO. Once you have the basics down, feel free to move on to link building and monitoring your analytics.
If you don't remember anything else about SEO, remember to keep it simple and keep it going. Never let your insurance website get stale. You can always check our blog for an assortment of SEO tips and topics.
About the AuthorMore Content by Kirsten Thornton