1. Google Local: This is the big dog of all local business directories. If you aren't listed here, you're throwing away money and missing out on potential customers. Filling out your listing completely and having your customers review your business should result in high rankings. Top local listings appear on the first page of the search results.
2. Yahoo Local: This is another large local business directory. Listings can take up to a month to be approved since they are manually reviewed.
3. Bing Local: This business directory shares the same format at Google and Yahoo local listings. Once you submit your listing, Bing will mail a postcard to your business with a verification code.
4. Hotfrog.com: This directory has over 71 million businesses globally. They claim that businesses will rank higher because their technology helps get your unique keywords picked up by search engines.
5. Yelp.com: Yelp is very popular local directory the ranks well with search engines. So, your actual Yelp listing may show up in the search results. The more positive reviews a business has, the better the higher the business ranking. This isn't dofollow, but it is free and should send at least a few customers your way.
6. Kudzu.com: Kudzu is a highly-rated nationwide directory that allows free listings. It takes a few days to be approved, but the listing allows images and categories important to be ranked in the search engines.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by John Dessommes