If you’ve ever watched a video from an email you received, you know how persuasive they can be. People love engaging content. The interactive features of video can amplify your emails in ways no other feature can.
But where do you even begin? How can you make sure videos enhance your insurance emails?
Lucky for you, I’ve done the research and have the experience to help you determine if video is right for your emails. And, how to use it in the best way.
The Video Advantage
Videos are gaining popularity in email marketing, and it’s easy to see why. On average, videos can increase open rates by up to 19 percent and click-through rates by 50 percent.
When implemented well, a relevant video can increase the value of your email. And remember, value is the one of the most important parts of insurance email marketing.
Embedded Video vs. Clickable Image Link
When you think of a video in an email, how do you imagine it? Is the video immediately playing within the email as soon as you open it?
This happens when the video is embedded into the email code. This may seem like the best way to add video to an email. But, embedding can be problematic.
Many email clients and internet service providers, like Android and Outlook, do not support embedded videos.
When you try to send an embedded video to these platforms, the videos do not even show up. Some service providers even flat out reject the email. Embedded video attachments are often used to spread viruses.
So what’s the better way to share video in your emails? Clickable image links.
You’ll take a screenshot of the video player, add it to your email, and link that image to where the video lives online.
Recipients will open your email and click on the video image. Then, they can watch the video in a new window.
These clickable image links are visible across many platforms and providers. They also offer better insights to determine the success of your videos. It’s a win-win.
Tips for Using Videos in Email
Here are some best practices for using video in your insurance agency emails.
- Add a play button to your screenshot to help recipients know your image links to a video.
- Keep the video under a minute. Remember, recipients spend less than 10 seconds reading your email. Don’t waste their time with a long video.
- Include a subtitle with the image with directions to avoid any confusion. A short sentence like, “Click here to watch the video” helps guide recipients.
- Don’t use video just to use it. Make sure you have the right audience. Make sure it enhances and compliments your message. The video clip should add value, not unnecessary fluff or clutter.
- Good video topics for the insurance industry: Customer testimonials, policy education and training, and personalized agency information.
Bonus: A Quick How-To for Adding Videos in AgencyBuzz
Want to use our automated email marketing system to add videos to your emails? Here is a quick five step guide for adding and linking a video image in your AgencyBuzz mailings. Click here to watch a previously recorded AgencyBuzz Academy video that reviews this process.
- Copy your video URL.
- Take a screen shot of the video using a screen grab program. Or, press the Fn and Print Screen buttons on your keyboard. Paste the image into a Word document. Save the image to your computer.
- Click the Image Manager in the AgencyBuzz mailing editor to access the image library. Add the image to your email.
- Select the screenshot image in your mailing. Then, click the Insert Link icon in the AgencyBuzz mailing editor.
- Paste the video link in the URL field and select where you want the video to open from the Target dropdown options. Click OK to save your changes and complete the linking process.
How do you use video in your insurance agency emails?
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin More Content by Heather Cherry